The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA deadline is fast-approaching. Due every March, FAFSA provides grants, loans, and work-study funds for college or career school students. To ensure you meet the California deadline, check out the following tips to help you prepare.
1) Remember your PIN! This PIN allows you to sign into and submit your FAFSA electronically.
2) Gather the documents needed to apply! You might need the following information or documents as you fill out your FAFSA:
- Your Social Security number and your parents’ Social Security number if you are a dependent student
- Your Driver’s License number
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen
- Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information for you and your parents if you are a dependent student
- Records of your un-taxed income
- Any information on cash, savings and checking account balances, investments, and assets for you and your parents if you are a dependent student
3) Get help! There are a number of free tools online on the FAFSA webpage like the live chat feature, or you can contact the Financial Aid Office for specific questions.